Photo Credit: Alamy Stock Photo
- Share of workers in physically demanding jobs: 10.5%
- Average wage for physically demanding jobs: $42,210
- Average wage for all occupations: $47,480
- Total employment in protective services: 13,870
- Total employment in construction & extraction: 22,030
- Total employment in installation & repair: 23,790
In the Birmingham-Hoover metro area, 4.7 percent of all employees are in installation and repair occupations, above the national share of 3.9 percent. Notably, automotive mechanics are considered part of the installation and repair sector, and Honda and Mercedes-Benz are two major employers in this region. Birmingham-Hoover also has above average employment in protective services.