Blazin’ Trails Cowboy Church will host Rodeo Ponderosa this weekend. Music by the 3:16 band will begin at 6 p.m., with the rodeo following at 8 p.m. A mechanical bull, numerous vendors, a rodeo clown and more will be available for visitors to enjoy. Proceeds from the rodeo will benefit Brooke’s Roundup, an all-inclusive event for families with children who have disabilities, which will be held Sept. 28 this year. Advance tickets can be purchased at Saine Hardware, West End Sales and Al Lane Kubota. For more information, visit www.blazintrailscc.org.
- What: Rodeo
- When: Gates open at 4:30 p.m. on Friday and Saturday
- Where: 1222 Ponderosa Road, Lincolnton, NC
- Cost: Adult tickets are $12, and child tickets are $10. Children 10 and under get in for free on Friday night.
NC Day of Percussion
The annual North Carolina Day of Percussion is returning to Lenoir-Rhyne University’s campus. Performers include Tommy Igoe, Michael Burritt, Matt Decker, Billy Zanski, Cort McClaren, Charles Smith and nearly a dozen university percussion ensembles. Percussion clinics and workshops will also be held throughout the day, along with door prizes every hour.
- What: Annual North Carolina Day of Percussion
- When: Saturday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Where: PE Monroe Auditorium on the Lenoir Rhyne University Hickory campus
- Cost: Free admission
Cars and Coffee event and Cruise In
Enjoy the (hopefully) nice weather, cool cars and 10 percent off breakfast and coffee at Catawba Valley Muscle’s (CVM) Cars and Coffee event at Atlanta Bread Company. Join CVM again in the afternoon at Court Street Grille in Mountain View for the first Catawba Valley Cruisers cruise in of the season. Spectators can enjoy hot dogs, drinks and chips provided by the Longview Lions Club, 15 percent off at Court Street Grille, music, a raffle and more. For more information, call 828-308-9985.
- What: Car meet and cruise in
- When: The Cars and Coffee event will take place Saturday from 8-11 a.m. The Cruise In will take place Saturday from 5-9 p.m.
- Where: The Cars and Coffee event will be held at Atlanta Bread Company in Hickory. The Cruise In will take place at Court Street Grille in Mountain View.
- Cost: Free admission for both events
Hickory American Legion 2nd Annual Car and Truck Show
The Hickory American Legion Post 48 of Newton will hold their 2nd annual car and truck show this weekend. Hot rods, street rods, muscle cars, antiques and more will be available for spectators to enjoy. The public is welcomed to participate in the show, and the registration deadline is 12:30 p.m. the day of the event. Registration is $20, and includes admission for two people. Judging will begin at 1 p.m. Awards given will include best of show, Legion Commanders pick, ugliest car or truck and more. Event t-shirts will be available to purchase, along with concessions from multiple vendors and a raffle.
- What: Car and truck show
- When: Saturday, gates open at 9 a.m. Awards will be announced at 3 p.m. (rain date is April 20)
- Where: Hickory American Legion Fairgrounds, 1 American Legion Avenue, Newton
- Cost: Admission for spectators is $5, and children 12 and under get in for free.
Live music by Lo Wolf
Lo Wolf writes and performs from her Asheville home. Her latest recording, Country Pop Hit, has been called "equal parts timeless and modern" and she infuses poetry, praise and grit into her original compositions. For more information on the performance, call Taste Full Beans Coffeehouse at 828-325-0108.
- What: Live music
- When: Sunday from 1-3 p.m.
- Where: Taste Full Beans Coffeehouse in downtown Hickory
- Cost: Free admission