“The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time” production
Hickory Community Theatre (HCT) presents the story of a young man on a great adventure. Fifteen-year-old Christopher Boone has an extraordinary mind, but is less well equipped to deal with the challenges of everyday life. When falsely accused of killing his neighbor's dog, he sets out to find the true culprit. His journey leads to an earth-shattering discovery that will change his life forever. This production is rated R because it contains strong, adult language. Call the box office at 828-328-2283 or visit www.hickorytheatre.org to purchase tickets or get more information.
- What: Live theatrical production
- When: April 4-14; Thursdays at 7:30 p.m., Fridays and Saturdays at 8 p.m. and Sundays at 2:30 p.m.
- Where: Hickory Community Theatre in downtown Hickory
- Cost: Tickets for Friday-Sundays are $18 for adults, $16 for seniors (60 and over) and $10 for students and youth 18 and under. Tickets for Thursday night performances are $14 for adults and $10 for students and youth 18 and under.
Annual North Carolina Railroad Expo
Approximately 275 tables full of railroad lanterns, timetables, books and models of all scales will be available at the 17th annual state railroad expo. In addition to vendors selling model trains, books, videos and memorabilia, there will be five operating layouts from across North Carolina, a restored railroad baggage wagon and a Railroad Antiques Roadshow table where the public can bring railway-related items by and have them appraised by experts in the hobby. Additionally, free tickets to Tweetsie Railroad will be offered as a doorprize to those attending. For more information, visit www.tarheelpress.com/Trainshow/ or call the Hickory Metro Convention Center at 828-322-1335.
- What: Train show
- When: Saturday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Where: Hickory Metro Convention Center in Hickory
- Cost: Adult tickets are $5; Children 12 and younger get in for free.
Crawdad’s Open House
The Open House will feature games, amusements, concessions and exclusive ticket specials. CVCC's baseball team will take on Southeastern Community College- Whiteville on the field starting at 11 a.m. The Open House will also feature an inflatable bounce house, speed pitch, cornhole and an arts and crafts table. The Catawba Farms Crawdads Café and the first base concession stand will be open throughout the event to serve food and refreshments. For more information, visit www.milb.com/hickory or call 828-322-3000.
- What: Baseball open house
- When: Saturday from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Where: L.P. Frans Stadium in Hickory
- Cost: Free admission
Bethany Church Movie Night
The film, “The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe” will be shown at Bethany Evangelical Lutheran Church. This is a story based on C.S. Lewis’ novel, “The Chronicles of Narnia,’ which is an allegory that depicts the doctrine of the atonement and God’s work through Christ to overcome sin. The film presents the gospel in an understandable way, and is appropriate for all age groups. For more information, call 822-322-5002.
- What: Movie night
- When: Saturday beginning at 5 p.m.
- Where: Bethany Evangelical Lutheran Church, 1644 Main Avenue Drive NW, Hickory
- Cost: Free admission
Catawba Valley Muscle car meet
The Catawba Valley Muscle car group will begin their monthly meets this weekend. Spectators and enthusiasts are welcomed to swing by and check out the classic cars, hot rods and more. A people’s choice award will take place for first and second places. A raffle, music and concessions will also be available.
- What: Car meet
- When: Sunday from 2-4 p.m.
- Where: Advance Auto Parts in Conover
- Cost: Free