HICKORY — Catawba Valley Community College employees recently took part in the first CVCC Day of Extraordinary Service (CVCC D.O.E.S.) event assisting local nonprofits, arts groups and public schools in Catawba and Alexander counties.
Held on a day when no classes were scheduled, more than 150 employees participated in activities at 26 different locations. Nearly 500 service hours were completed for community service projects like cleaning, painting, organizing, mulching, preparing and serving lunch, and many others.
The project came as an internal suggestion to the college’s Professional Development Committee as a way for personnel to serve as external ambassadors of Red Hawk spirit. T-shirts were provided by the college and lunch was provided by the CVCC Foundation, Inc. Employee Savann Lombardi solicited project requests from local agencies and Rebecca Watts and Michael Boone assisted with coordinating volunteer assignments.
Volunteers served the following agencies:
- Adult Life Programs-Conover Location
- Adult Life Programs-Hickory Location
- Alexander County Partnership for Children
- Backpack Program of Catawba County
- Banoak Elementary School
- Catawba County Department of Social Services-Family Builders
- Catawba County Library System-Conover Branch
- Catawba County Library System-Newton Branch
- Connections/Catawba County Behavioral Healthcare
- CVCC Adult Basic Education Academy
- Family Care Center of Catawba Valley Inc.
- Greater Hickory Cooperative Christian Ministry
- Habitat for Humanity of Alexander County
- Habitat for Humanity of Catawba Valley-New Construction
- Habitat for Humanity of Catawba Valley-Repair Crew
- Hickory Community Theatre
- Hickory Soup Kitchen
- Historical Association of Catawba County
- Humane Society of Alexander County
- Humane Society of Catawba County-Hickory Location
- Humane Society of Catawba County-Newton Location
- Pregnancy Care Center of Catawba Valley
- Resource Warehouse & Gallery
- Rising Hope Farms
- Riverbend Park
- South Newton Elementary School
- The Corner Table