HICKORY N.C. – A cooking fire sent one man to the hospital Tuesday.

Hickory firefighters responded to a fire and reports of a possible explosion at a residence at 3661 16th Street NE at 5:43 p.m., a news release from the Hickory Fire Department said.

Firefighters found two occupants outside the residence and light smoke coming from inside. Firefighters started treatment on one man who had been burned and worked to remove burning items from the kitchen.

The injured man was transported by Catawba County EMS to a local hospital.

Firefighters used ventilation fans to remove smoke from the house. The fire was under control by 5:54 p.m.

Firefighters responded with two engines, one ladder, one rescue truck and one command vehicle.

Get today’s top stories right in your inbox. Sign up for our daily newsletter.

Recommended for you

Load comments