Q: How do I contact the obituary department?
A: The best way to contact the obituary department directly is to call our toll-free phone number 888-220-4265. The fax number is 828-324-8179.
Q: I see your email address is @hickoryrecord.com. For which newspapers does your department process obituaries?
A: We are a consolidated obituary department, processing obituaries for six newspapers: Hickory Daily Record, Concord Independent Tribune, McDowell News, Mooresville Tribune, Morganton News Herald and Statesville Record & Landmark.
Q: Where should I send the obituary text and picture?
A: Obituaries should be emailed as attached Microsoft Word documents or within the body of the email to the following email addresses:
*Note that obituaries emailed to the “NEWS” email addresses listed on the websites must be forwarded to the obituary department and may not necessarily be processed in a timely fashion.
Q: When do the newspapers run, and when is the deadline?
A: Deadlines and run days for the newspapers are as follows:
- Hickory Daily Record: prints daily; 4 p.m. the day prior to the desired print date
- Concord Independent Tribune: prints Wednesday, Friday & Sunday; 3 p.m. the day prior to the desired print date
- McDowell News: prints Tuesday-Friday, & Sunday; 4 p.m. the day prior to the desired print date
- Mooresville Tribune: prints Wednesday & Sunday; 3 p.m. the day prior to Wednesday and 2 p.m. the day prior to Sunday’s edition
- Morganton News Herald: prints Sunday-Friday; 4 p.m. the day prior to the desired print date
- Statesville Record & Landmark: prints daily; 4 p.m. the day prior to the desired print date, EXCEPT deadline is at 3 p.m. for Sunday’s edition
Note that any obituaries sent after the deadline are NOT guaranteed to be in the next edition of the newspaper. If we are able to process them, they will be published as is. No corrections/additions can be made at that point.
Q: Can I make corrections/additions to an obituary?
A: Yes, corrections and additions can be made to an obituary, provided they are received by the deadline of the respective newspaper. Corrections/additions are not guaranteed after the deadline.
For efficiency’s sake, please bold or otherwise indicate (in red) corrections/additions to obituaries. We copy and paste the text you email us into our ad software and edit from start to finish. When changes/additions are sent, and there is no indication (bold, red, etc.) of where the changes are, we must re-enter the text into the software, and re-edit the entire body of the obituary.
**Also, note that corrections/additions should be sent to the same email address to which the original obituary text was emailed, NOT to the person who sent the proof. Since we all have varying work schedules, this ensures your corrections/additions are received in a timely manner.**
Q: In what format should pictures be sent?
A: Pictures should be sent in JPEG format.
Q: What information is included in a FREE DEATH NOTICE?
A: Free death notices must adhere to strict content requirements and can include the following information:
- Name of the deceased
- Age of the deceased
- City of residence
- Date of death
- Service/visitation dates, times and locations
- Funeral home entrusted with arrangements, if applicable
The following information CANNOT be included in free death notices:
- Euphemisms such as “passed away” or “went home to be with the Lord;” we can only use “died”
- Biographical information
- Those who preceded the deceased in death
- Officiating minister(s), reverend(s), pastor(s), etc.
- Memorial information
- Notes about online condolences and/or websites
- Burial information
Q: Can pictures be added to free death notices?
A: Yes, pictures can be added to a free death notice for a flat fee of $20 (Hickory, Statesville, Concord & Mooresville), $10 for Morganton and $5 for Marion.
Q: How much does an obituary cost?
A: Obituaries are charged on a per-line basis (approximately 20-25 characters per line), and the charges for the individual newspapers vary depending on whether they are emailed or faxed.
**Note that obituary text that is emailed in ALL capital letters will be processed/charged as a faxed obituary.
Q: How does the proof/receipt for the obituary work?
A: When the obituary is submitted we process a proof showing charges and a copy of how the obit will print in the newspaper. Once you have received the proof/receipt, YOU are responsible for ensuring that the run date and ad text are correct.
**If you do not receive a proof/receipt for an obituary, be sure to check your SPAM folder, as some of our messages go there. If you have not received a proof by the deadline of the paper in which the obituary is to be printed, contact the obituary department (i.e., for an obituary to be printed in the Hickory Daily Record, contact the obituary department if you have not received a proof by 4 p.m.).