MORGANTON – A Marion man is in custody after authorities say he forced his way into a Morganton residence Wednesday night and fatally shot a man inside.
Corey Dewayne Grant, 36, of Marion was arrested by officers with the Morganton Department of Public Safety Wednesday, charged with the first degree murder of Brian Marcel Burnette of Old Fort.
According to a press release issued Thursday morning by public safety, officers received a 911 call from 224 Bethel St. at approximately 10:28 p.m.
Witnesses at the scene told responding officers that Grant had entered the residence and fired several rounds, killing Burnette, and then fled the scene in a vehicle.
Burke County sheriff’s deputies and troopers with the N.C. Highway Patrol eventually apprehended Grant walking westbound on Interstate 40.
Grant was transported to the Burke-Catawba District Confinement Facility and jailed without bond Wednesday night. According to records, Grant had previously been arrested and convicted on multiple felony drug charges and burglaries.
Authorities with public safety indicated Thursday morning that they believed Wednesday’s shooting appeared to be the result of a domestic dispute.
Details on the incident were still scarce as of Thursday afternoon.
“We’ve got one guy dead and one guy in custody,” Investigator Calvin Daniels with public safety said.
Due to the sensitive nature of the investigation, Daniels added, details and evidence related to the case, including the 911 call, will not be available to the public until the case is closed.
As of Thursday evening, the incident was still under investigation.